Food security is a public health issue, and one that concerns many health administrators as well as the public. New threats to global food supplies, such as lack of phosphate supplies or policy issues that some deem corrupt affect citizens, farmers, marketers, grocers and importers and exporters. Despite the commercial and political value inherent in food policy, safety and security, the top 50 global food security blogs listed below all point to health as the bottom line.
Food Security Blogs
- Agriculture and Food Security: The NEPAD strategic framework document was prepared by the leaders of the five initiating states (Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria, Senegal and South Africa) in response to a mandate given to them by the Summit of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU).
- Ecology and Policy Blog: This link leads to the British Ecological Society’s archive for the “Food Security” category.
- Food and Water Watch: Food & Water Watch works to ensure the food, water and fish we consume is safe, accessible and sustainable.
- Food Security Blog: Contributors to this blog include academics, industrialists and farmers who give their views on food security.
- FSN Forum: This is the Global Forum on Food Security and Nutrition, managed by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Global Food Security: The Foreign Policy Blogs network was launched in 2007 as part of the Great Decisions discussion program, and has since grown to include nearly 50 blogs on a multitude of global issues.
- ILRI Clippings: This blog carries global news stories and posts about livestock technologies, environment sustainability, climate adaptation, and animal agriculture.
- Meeting Lunch: This 25-year-old freelance writer and student is studying human development and food security.
- ModernizeAid: The Modernizing Foreign Assistance Network carries recent archives about food security initiatives.
- Powell River Food Security Project: Growing, preserving, preparing and sharing food on British Columbia’s Upper Sunshine Coast.
- USDA Blog: This link leads to all the blog articles about food security at this government blog.
Food Safety Blogs
- Barfblog: A popular blog that looks at the worst food conditions and is a comprehensive, current and compelling sources of food safety news and analysis.
- Buy Safe, Eat Well: This blog shows how to take action for safe products and food.
- Consumer Reports Food Safety Blog: Consumer Reports brings news about policies, legal matters and recalls to the public.
- eFoodAlert.com: The author of Food Safety: Old Habits, New Perspectives and Food Microbiology — The Laboratory believes everyone has a hand in food safety.
- Food Liability Law Blog: A discussion on the emerging legal threats to the food industry.
- Food Safety: Practical information and tips from the experts to help you and your family stay food safe.
- US Food Safety Blog: This blog tackles food recalls, food safety and opinions about food regulations.
Food Policy Bogs
- AgMag: Get in-depth investigations into the science and politics of food, water, farming, the environment and the money and politics that make it go.
- Blogriculture: Diligent analysis of food policy issues by the staff of Capital Press agriculture newspaper.
- Farm Policy: This blog provides a summary of farm policy news.
- Food Politics: Marion Nestle is Paulette Goddard Professor in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health and Professor of Sociology at New York University.
- Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy: IATP is working to stop the overuse of antibiotics in agriculture and aquaculture, while limiting the release of mercury and other toxic pollutants that fall onto farmland and enter the food supply.
- La Vida Locavore: A local perspective on news and policy regarding nationwide food. You might find other local blogs such as this, serving as watchdogs.
- Obama Foodorama: The blog of record about Obama food initiatives, with reporting from the White House by Eddie Gehman Kohan.
- U.S. Food Policy: Parke Wilde teaches and writes about U.S. Food Policy at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University.
- African Agriculture: This blog offers news and opinion about African agriculture and how it fits into the global perspective.
- Biofortified: This blog is devoted to providing factual information about plant genetics and genetic engineering.
- Center for Global Food Issues: The Center for Global Food Issues staff conducts research and analysis of agriculture and the environmental concerns surrounding food and fiber production.
- FDA Transparency Blog: The Food and Drug Administration’s attempt at transparency on recalls, management systems and more.
- Genetic Watchdog: The Council for Responsible Genetics fosters public debate about the social, ethical and environmental implications of genetic technologies.
- Global Food for Thought: This blog provides updated information, commentary, and analysis on breaking developments on international agriculture, food, and related issues.
- Marler Blog: This personal injury and products liability attorney began litigating foodborne illness cases in 1993. Now he also provides commentary on food poisoning outbreaks and litigation.
- The Ethicurean: This blog watches for food safety problems as well as news, food policies and labor issues.
- The Food Ethics Blog: This is a new blog about ethical issues that arise in growing, shipping, processing, selling, regulating, and eating food.
- Center for a Livable Future: Population growth worldwide and growing disparities between rich and poor imbue this work with a sense of urgency to find solutions and inform public policy.
- End Poverty in South Asia: This blog is maintained by the South Asia Region of the World Bank Group.
- Feeding America Blog: The latest data from the United States Department of Agriculture shows that more than 49 million Americans experience “food insecurity” each year — that is, they’re not sure where they’ll find their next meal.
- Global Envision: The confluence of global markets and the alleviation of poverty.
- Hunger and Undernutrition Blog: Insights, approaches and opportunities to ensure access by all to high-quality, nutritious food.
- IMPACTblog: This U.S. government blog focuses on hunger and the threats posed by climate change.
- Raj Patel: This is Raj’s new blog, carried forward from his previous blog, Stuffed and Starved.
- Zero Hunger: Russell Bither-Terry is a doctoral student in Brazil who writes about fighting hunger.
- StopBeingSweet.com: Stop Being Sweet is the blog written by David Vanadia and it features information about how to sustainably get off sugary junk food.
- Blog for Rural America: The Center for Rural Affairs has a long and proven track record in promoting sustainable agriculture policy and practices.
- Civil Eats: Civil Eats promotes critical thought about sustainable agriculture and food systems as part of building economically and socially just communities.
- Ecocentric: Ecocentric is the official blog for the sustainable food, water and energy programs of the GRACE Communications Foundation.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition: NSAC is an alliance of grassroots organizations that advocates for federal policy reform to advance the sustainability of agriculture, food systems, natural resources, and rural communities.
- Sustainablog: Since July 2003, Sustainablog has provided information on environmental and economic sustainability, green and sustainable business, and environmental politics.
- The Slow Food USA Blog: Slow Food USA seeks to create dramatic and lasting change in the food system to food that is healthy and sustainable as opposed to “fast food.”
- Think Forward: Think Forward is a blog written by staff of the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy covering sustainability as it intersects with food, rural development, international trade, the environment and public health.
Note: All images from the U.S. Government Photos and Images archives.